Sermon Series(Archived series are below)
“What fills your heart leads your life.” Do you agree? It’s the “you are what you eat” of the mind. If I fill my heart and mind with negative thoughts about other people, with the pursuit of money or prestige, with images of violence or pornography, it’s going to impact my thoughts and my choices in life.
As followers of Jesus we want to fill our lives with things that are lovely, noble, upright and true. We long to saturate our hearts with the Word of our God. In this series we’re going to talk about personal spiritual growth and how to make that happen. Luther spoke of three important disciplines for the earnest student of God’s Word: oratio, meditatio, and tentatio. God help us learn how to make these disciplines our own.
|August 24||Oratio||Psalm 119:145-152|
Oratio is prayer. Prayer is where the study of God’s Word must begin because prayer begins with the ear. Prayer acknowledges God as Lord and says: “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.”
|September 1||Meditatio||Psalm 119:97-104|
Meditatio is the continual study of God’s Word, not just reading the words for the sake of reading the words, but reading and rereading them, carefully, attentively and reflectively, to gather what the Holy Spirit means by them.
|September 7||Tentatio||Psalm 119:65-72|
Tentatio is the testing, temptation, and trial that occur when God and his Word intersect with us and our world. God uses tentatio to drive us away from self and to his promises alone.
Sermon Series Archive
Each sermon series below includes a “Big Idea” overview and a weekly breakdown of Scripture references and points of emphasis. Go here if you are looking for the actual sermon documents.
- Good Question — Honest Answer
- Modern Family
- Buried Treasure
- Supernatural — Believe the Unbelievable
- My Christmas Playlist
- How to Survive the End of the World
- Bridging the Gap
- Me Without You
- Jesus Friend of Sinners
- Undiluted Gospel
- Life Under the Sun
- Catch the Wave
- He Moves Me
- The Journey
- thechurch.org / frequently asked questions
- When God Shows Up
- The Heart of the Matter
- Revelation Rewind
- Real People, Real Hope: The Psalms
- Church and State
- The Family of God
- People of the Book
- The Easter Effect
- For Me
- A Contrarians Guide to Christianity
- What Child Is This?
- Heaven & Hell
- Parables that Go Against the Flow
- A Time for Heroes
- Power-Packed Postcards for a Postmodern World
- Unmasking the Christian Atheist
- Radical Faith
- Capture the Meaning of Easter
- Charge Into Battle
- Me 2.0 – The Me I Want to Be
- Experience the Power of the Light
- God’s Love—Unstoppable!
- Defining Moments in Our Faith Life
- Finally Free!
- Invest for the Future
- God Wants SuccessFULL Christians
- Lessons from the Life of David
- 10 Dumb Things Smart Christians Believe
- This We Know For Sure
- Sin is Real
- The Glory of God’s Grace